Last updated April 2, 2021
STORYLAND DESIGN CHALLENGE
After 20 years of creating extraordinary experiences that bring enduring stories to life, Storyland Studios is showcasing the next generation of storytellers. If you’re a designer, we invite you to share your ideas for the next immersive, impactful, story-based experience that lifts the spirit.
The evaluation process will be based on various judging criteria which we feel reflect our values and the values of the creative industry in which we work. These criteria provide entrants with an orientation framework to guide their submissions.
Our panel of industry-leading storytelling experts will evaluate each submission for:
- Depth and Richness of Storytelling – Does it entertain, thrill, and excite?
- Emotional Resonance – Does it move people to act?
- Design Innovation – Does it push the boundaries of what’s been done before?
- Creative Use of Materials – Does it find new ways to use old tools and design methods?
- Executability – Is it doable?
- Ecological Compatibility – What’s the impact on the area where the project would be installed?
- One (1) Storyland Design Challenge grand prize winner will receive:
- $20,000 USD, subject to international exchange rates.
- The opportunity to pitch their project to industry veterans at a spotlight session during the Blooloop V-Expo in October 2021.
- A one-year enrollment in Storyland University, a professional learning and development initiative that will feature on-demand classes powered by Kitestring. The enrollment will also include virtual and in-person TED Talk-style presentations on important topics such as storytelling, innovation, design, creativity, and more. Content will strengthen students’ professional mindset, skillset, and toolset ($5000 value).
- Three (3) additional finalists will be invited to present their projects to industry thought leaders during the Storyland Innovation Webinar during the Blooloop V-Expo in October 2021.
- Every entrant will be celebrated on a dedicated competition website and receive a one-year subscription to the Kitestring valued at $250.
Contest Opens: April 5, 2021
Entry Deadline: June 4, 2021
- All submissions must be made through the Storyland Design Challenge website.
- Submissions can include up to 10 non-video files.
- File limit of 25 MB each.
- Accepted file types: JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, EPS, PSD, AI, PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, TXT, XLS and SVG
- Submissions can include up to 2 video files.
- Videos should be no longer than 5 minutes each.
- Video submissions must be links to either YouTube or Vimeo. (We do not provide video hosting.)
- Only image and/or video files will be displayed on the entry page, but all documentation will be reviewed by the judges.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Eligibility and Entry Restrictions
To be eligible to enter the competition:
- You have the right, authority, and capacity to agree to these Terms and Conditions.
- You are not legally barred from entering into a lawfully executed contract under any of the applicable jurisdictions.
- You must be a real person, at least 18 years old at time of entry. (Proof of age may be required.)
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of all of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entries may be submitted by individuals or a team. The team leader must be at least 18 years of age but there is no age requirement for other team members. Any prizes will be awarded to the team leader only.
- Entrants must not be our employee, contractor, officer or agent, or an employee, contractor, officer or agent of any person or organization involved in the running of the competition or have been so within the last eighteen (18) months. Entrants must not be a family relation of any such person.
- Entrants may not be a professional firm, practice, agency, organization, school, or business.
- The maximum number of entries to the competition per person is one (1).
- Entries must be submitted electronically per the instructions on the Entry Form.
- The maximum number of entries for the competition shall be at our sole discretion. Currently there is no entry cap, however, if an entry cap is invoked at a later date:
- The cap will be no less than 50 entries.
- The competition will be closed to new entries beyond the cap.
- All entrants that have pre-registered will still be eligible to submit to the competition even if the entry cap has been reached.
Start and Closing Dates
- The competition shall open for entries at the time and on the date specified in the Contest Rules and on our website and/or social media channels, and similarly, shall close to entries at the time and on the date specified in the Contest Rules and on our website and social media channels. Unless otherwise stated, these times and dates are set to PST (Pacific Standard Time).
- Any entries received before the opening or after the closing of the competition will be invalid and will not be entered into the competition.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- Competition entries shall be judged, or winners selected on the basis of those criteria specified in the Contest Rules and on our website and/or social media channels in relation to the competition.
- If a competition entrant does not meet the eligibility requirements or is subject to any entry restrictions, that entrant shall not be entitled to be judged a winner and will not be entitled to a prize in any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to disqualify entries that are frivolous or fail to meet the entry requirements as described in these Terms and Conditions. We also reserve the right to remove any entry information or design from the competition and the competition website that we deem objectionable or obscene.
- Our decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Winners and Prizes
- Competition prize winners will be notified of the competition result by email not more than 60 days following the closing date of the competition.
- The Grand Prize Winner and will receive their cash prize not more than 120 days following the announcement of the competition’s winner.
- All other prizes to be awarded within 12 months of the closing date of the competition.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the prize winner for 14 days but if the winner fails to respond to our notification attempts within this time or information for delivery of the prize or fails to meet any of the eligibility requirements or is otherwise unable to comply with the competition terms and conditions, we reserve the right to disqualify that entrant and offer the prize to the next eligible entrant and thereafter until a winner is found.
- The results of a competition will be announced on our website within 60 days following the closing date of the competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- All federal, state, local, municipal, income, and other taxes (if any) are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- Storyland Studios and its affiliates are not liable for any copyright or trademark infringement on the part of the entrant. Entrants are advised and required to obtain third party consents where required by law or by best ethical practices.
- By your submission, you affirm that you own the intellectual property rights to the original work you submitted to the competition. You also affirm that by submitting your entry you are consenting to granting to Storyland a royalty-free, perpetual right to use your entry (the intellectual property) in connection with publicity and promotion of Storyland programs.
- All entrants retain the intellectual property rights and copyright for their submissions. By submitting, you grant Storyland Studios a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual and irrevocable license to use your design for the promotion of the current, and all future, Storyland Design challenges and competitions, anywhere in the world, without compensation.
- By entering this competition, you agree that any similarity or resemblance of your Storyland Design entry to any current or future idea or project of Storyland Studios, Storyland Studios’ clients, Storyland Design contest judges, or Storyland Design contest judges’ companies and clients are purely coincidental. You agree that these resemblances and similarities are not only coincidental but do not amount to a violation of your intellectual property in the United States or under international laws. You agree that neither Storyland Studios, Storyland Studios’ clients, Storyland Design contest judges, or Storyland Design contest judges’ companies and clients are owing of compensation for any current or future similarities or resemblances. You further agree that you will not seek legal action, an injunction, or demand payment for these coincidences.
Additional Terms and Conditions
- This prize competition is run by Storyland Studios.
- You can contact us by using our website contact form.
- The liability of Storyland Studios and its affiliates to the entrant, whether said liability stems from any breach of contract or duty, for any damages, costs, loss of goodwill or financial income suffered by the Entrant, will be limited to the entrant’s paid fees.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be entered into in Lake Elsinore, California; and it shall be interpreted and enforced under and pursuant to the laws of the State of California.
- Any dispute relating to the competition or related events and media or these rules shall be resolved by binding arbitration before a single arbitrator pursuant to the Expedited Commercial Rules of JAMS.
- Should any of the above provisions be rendered ineffective in whole or in part, all other provisions shall remain effective.
- We reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, pandemic, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of our control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by us.
- No other obligations exist between Storyland and Entrant unless otherwise stated in these terms or written between the Entrant and Storyland.
- There’s always the possibility that a submission is so exciting that Storyland Studios would be interested in working with the entrant to develop it further. In that situation, assuming the entrant is interested, we’ll negotiate that partnership and its terms and conditions under a separate contract. Submitting to the contest does not create any obligation for the entrant to partner with Storyland Studios.